Funded PhD Position with Academic & Industry Training
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full time, fixed term position as Early Stage Researcher/PhD student (ESR) with ProtoQSAR in Valencia (Spain) in collaboration with the National University of Ireland Galway. The position, funded by a Marie Skłodowska-Curie H2020 Innovative Training Networks grant is available from January 2021. The appointment will be on a temporary basis for a maximum period of three years (regular full-time employment contract). The ESR will be hired by ProtoQSAR and enrolled at NUI Galway.
Information on project/centre
A call for one PhD position with three-year funding is open under the supervision of Dr. Rafael Gozalbes of ProtoQSAR, Valencia, Spain (https://protoqsar.com/en/) and Dr Howard Fearnhead at NUI Galway (https://www.nuigalway.ie/our-research/people/howardfearnhead/). This position is part of the recently granted Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (MSCA-ITN), TOXIFATE, which aims to improve prediction of drug-induced muscle toxicity. The Early Stage Researcher (ESR) will spend 50% of training with the academic partner in Ireland. TOXIFATE is a major interdisciplinary effort between cell biologists, toxicologists and chemi- and bio-informaticians focused on improving toxicity prediction and training researchers for the emerging computational toxicology sector.
The central scientific objective is to understand quantitative relationships between the activation of cell-stress and cell-death pathways and the resulting cell-fate. This will be accomplished through the use of sophisticated in vitro models, high content microscopy and transcriptomics coupled to the development of new computational tools that allow modelling and prediction of cell-behaviour.
The successful candidate will participate in a European Industrial Doctorate programme and benefit from an international scientific network of high-profile academic and industry partners offering state-of-the-art research facilities, as well as an ambitious training plan that will be implemented through courses, outreach activities, participation in seminars and workshops for the development of scientific and transferable skills. The ESR will be supervised by an Industry-Academia supervisory team consisting of at least one supervisor from each sector. The ESR will receive an attractive salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for Early Stage Researchers (https://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions/ ).
The successful candidate will:
- Participate in training in in vitro toxicology and cheminformatics.
- Develop and assess innovative means of modelling and predicting toxicity under the advice and training of academic and industry mentors.
- Participate in outreach activities, seminars and workshops for the development of scientific and transferable skills.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Demonstrable knowledge or basic background on chemoinformatics and molecular modelling.
- Scripting (Python) and/or programming (Java, C++) skills.
- Have a B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree (1.1) in toxicology, pharmacology, bioinformatics or related field.
- Be within the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers (without a doctoral degree).
- Should not have resided or carried out main activity (studies, work, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to the recruitment date.
- Demonstrable knowledge and interest in medicinal chemistry and drug discovery.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to logically conceptualize and summarize the research findings.
- Ability to interact with colleagues and staff, and to communicate complex information clearly.
- Ability to organise resources, manage time and meet deadlines.
Remuneration is in line with EC rules for Marie Skłodowska-Curie ITN projects: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/wp/2018-2020/main/h2020-wp1820-msca_en.pdf
Start date: Position is available from January 1, 2021
Further information on research and working at ProtoQSAR is available at https://protoqsar.com.
For information on moving to Spain please see www.euraxess.es
For additional inquiries about this post, please email email@example.com. Please put reference number PROTO-TOXIFATE-955830 in subject line of e-mail application.
Applications to include a covering letter, CV, and the contact details of three referees should be sent, via e-mail (in word or PDF only) to Dr Rafael Gozalbes, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put reference number PROTO-TOXIFATE-955830 in subject line of e-mail application.
Closing date for receipt of applications is November 20th 2020
Interviews are planned to be held between December 1st and December 4th 2020.
All positions are recruited in line with Open, Transparent, Merit (OTM) and Competency based recruitment
ProtoQSAR is an equal opportunities employer.
We reserve the right to re-advertise or extend the closing date for this post.